Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Mayor McGinn Blog Home Link to Mayor McGinn Web Site Home Page Link to Mayor McGinn About Us Page Contact Us

Mayor Mike McGinn left office on January 1, 2014.
This website is for archival purposes only, and is no longer updated.




City of Seattle

October 6, 7:18 PM click here to comment > 158

Update on Occupy Seattle

I want to give the public an update on how my staff and City departments are working to accommodate the Occupy Seattle protests at Westlake Park.

We understand that Occupy Seattle wishes to have a sustained presence in Westlake Park for the purpose of expressing their views. From the outset we have been trying to work out a solution that meets the city’s needs and Occupy Seattle’s need to protest against wealth inequality in our country.

My staff has been reaching out to and communicating with members of Occupy Seattle. Here’s how we are proceeding:

  • We are providing a permit for protest activities at Westlake Park which will allow them to have an organizing tent that can remain overnight. As a condition of the permit, protestors will have to allow for cleaning of the park, protect park property, accommodate the other existing permitted events, and protect access to businesses.
  • We are making City Hall Plaza available for those that wish to stay overnight, with reasonable restrictions on the tents so as to allow free use of the plaza during the day. Unlike Westlake, City Hall also has restroom facilities available. Both the permit and the ability to set up tents at City Hall Plaza would last for two weeks, at which point we can assess whether the arrangement is meeting everyone’s needs and should be extended.

These are extraordinary times. We have seen the Occupy Wall Street movement take off in cities across the country, and there’s a reason for it. There is real anger about the unprecedented concentration of wealth and power in this country and the inequality it has produced. I share the values and the message of the Occupy Wall Street movement. We want to provide the opportunity for the people of Seattle to express their views. And we are.

Posted by: Mayor Mike McGinn

Comments

Comment from Thomas Martin
Time October 10, 2011 at 11:46 pm

How can you justify letting the Seattle PD do what Boston PD just did?!

Comment from Susie CreamCheese
Time October 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

You said: “…a solution that meets the city’s needs and Occupy Seattle’s need to protest against wealth inequality in our country” You don’t quite get it. They are one and the same.

Comment from Jason
Time October 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Thanks, Mike! It’s nice to have a Mayor that empathizes with THE 1%!

Comment from DeeBee
Time October 12, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Now the piggies start to arrest.

By protesting peacefully, we are gaining more acceptance from the ignorant masses, however, needing a permit to protest is completely unconstitutional and has been ruled as such in the Supreme Court 80 years ago and never overturned.

Take our rights back. Dismantle the fed, world bankers and multinationals in bed with governments.

Comment from arvind
Time October 14, 2011 at 12:53 am

Dear Mayor, Thank you very much for your support and provisions.
Best wishes.

Comment from Julian
Time October 15, 2011 at 10:49 am

Dear Mayor McGinn, I also want to thank you for supporting the Occupy Wall Street/Occupy Seattle movement, and for offering the use of City Hall Plaza as well as Westlake Park. Tonight, the movement is going to erect tents in Westlake Park. I know that you have to be fair to all, but as you plan and direct, please keep in the front of your mind that this is an important movement, and a pivotal time. Please do everything you can to support these protestors and their message. Thank you.

Comment from Charles Rowin
Time October 17, 2011 at 5:58 pm

RIGHT! so far there have been arrests and the cops are getting restless and so are the people. unless you wish to have a volotile situation on your hands, you best tell the police to back off. the people will not be bullied forever, history tells us so.

Comment from Jason
Time January 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Yes. High Five Mayor McGinn. My girlfriend was groped in that park by two occupy losers as she waked home from work. You don’t seem to understand that they are NOT the 99%. I understand that math is not your strong suit. Life, being the bell curve that it is, proves that the occupy losers are just the other 1%. They DO NOT represent the middle class. The middle class occupy the middle of that bell curve and just want to make an honest living. You are completely out of touch with reality.